Sunday, October 19, 2008

Integrated classrooms


Who do Integrated classrooms help? I beleive that they help everyone involved, the teachers, the special needs students, the so-called "regular" need students, as well as the parents of all students. My daughter was in an intergrated classroom in kindergarten as a "regular" needs student and it helped her in many ways. It taught her that not everyone is the same and that not everyone learns the same way. It also taught her compassion and sympathy. It also helped the students that had special needs, it taught them that just because they have different learning needs they are the same as all the other children, it allows them to be treated like everyone else. I also think that it gives the teachers a chance to learn more about special needs and what it takes to teach in that type of environment. I thinkt that inclusion could be a good idea in the right type of situations, if there are not severe physical or mental handicaps that wouldnt allow for it I think that it could work in a lot of school systems. I would love for my child to have the oppurtunity to be in another intergrated classroom if not in a full inclusion school system. Does anyone think that intergrated classrooms is a bad idea?

No comments: